Using the Quilt as You Piece Method
This free block is the 21st quilt block tutorial in a series on how to make quilt blocks using the Quilt as You Piece Method. This one can be made completely in the Quilt as You Piece Method and templates are included just in case you need them. This block is named for a town in Maine, it is in Somerset County about 43 miles from my home.
- Makes one Block:
- Fabric:Follow the diagram for sizes and quantities, remember to make mirror pieces for the back side as you cut them out.
- Batting Cut one piece of batting for every front piece in the block.
- Cotton Sewing thread in neutral color, 50wt preferred.
- Washable Liquid Glue
- Washable Glue Stick
- Piece of card stock and a printer for the templates. The templates are in the PDF file.
- Double stick tape to put on the back side of your cut out templates
- Rotary Cutter & Cutting Mat
- Pair of Fabric Scissors
- Temporary Marking Device
- 18"x3" quilt ruler
- 10.5"x10.5" Square Ruler
- Dry Iron & Pressing Board
These are the tools I used. Use what you have.
Note: You can use 2 1/2" strips for your fabrics if you use the templates as a guide to cut your patches.
- Print the Templates. If you are going to use the templates, print them out at 100%, Actual size. When done printing, measure the square on the page. Make sure it is 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" in size on the dashed line to make sure your templates printed out accurately.
- Follow the numbers in the diagram for order of assembly and assemble them in the quilt as you piece method. Quilt each piece as you add them if desired or wait until the end.
- Trim to 10-1/2" x 10-1/2". Do stay stitching, an 1/8" in from the edges, all the way around.
This pattern sheet just provides what materials you need and what size pieces you need to make a 10" block and in what order to sew the pieces of the block together. It does not go into complete detail how I put them together in the Quilt as You Piece manner, please refer to our tutorial of the Five Strip Rail Fence Block for the basic concept and instructions on how to do Quilt as You Piece for this block and all other blocks in this series.